The Louisiana Film and Entertainment Association was created to grow Louisiana’s entertainment industry and demonstrate the positive economic impact the industry brings to the state. When the 2013 legislative session considered scaling back its popular film tax incentive, Bond was hired to lead a state-wide public relations campaign to raise awareness of the many positive benefits the film industry has throughout Louisiana.
Our objectives for Louisiana Film and Entertainment Association (LFEA) included:
- To keep the legislative film tax credits in-tact
- To reduce the effects of House Bill 161
- To reduce the effects of House Bill 696
- To secure attendance at LFEA’s final event, “Laissez Louisiana Film Rouler!”
- To secure state-wide media
coveragesurrounding the film and entertainment industry campaign
- To secure endorsements from Louisiana trade organizations
- To raise overall awareness and positive economic impact of the film industry in Louisiana
Our public relations campaign consisted of the following:
- Media relations
- Strategic partnership development
We began our campaign by securing partnerships throughout the state with a range of influencers, such as convention and visitors bureaus and the LA Restaurant Association. Aggressive state-wide media outreach began to generate overall awareness of the film and entertainment industry and its contribution to economic development in Louisiana. Our strategy was targeted media outreach based on each market in the state --- tailoring each release to highlight industry’s contribution in various regions in Louisiana and utilizing different stakeholders as advocates of the film tax incentive.
We called upon the folks at Bond to help us communicate our message to the Legislature and the Governor. With their help, the industry was able to speak with one voice, loud and clear.
Will French, President
Louisiana Film & Entertainment Association
Results & Impact
We established partnerships with seven statewide convention and visitors bureaus, secured over 40 high-value media hits, and red carpet attendance by multiple media outlets, entertainment celebrities and Louisiana legislators (25 percent of 146 legislators) at LFEA’s final event.
- The following were secured as spokesmen for press release-inclusion and additional media opportunities: New Orleans CVB, Baton Rouge CVB, Shreveport-Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau, Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana CVB, Alexandria/Pineville Area CVB, Monroe-West Monroe CVB and the Lafayette Convention and Visitors Commission
- Secured over 40 state-wide media hits throughout the legislative session, including multiple
- Secured 12 media outlets in attendance covering the red carpet (leading to multiple post pieces, including an AP pick-up): Associated Press, Getty Images, 225 Magazine, Baton Rouge Business Report, Louisiana Film and Video Magazine, The Talk 107.3 Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge News Crews (WAFB, WBRZ, WGMB and NBC 33), The Times-Picayune and Nola Defender
LFEA ended the session victorious—Legislators listened and the tax credits remained in-tact.