Bond Moroch was hired to promote the inaugural Mondo.NYC music festival and summit, a five-day program featuring over 175 top-tier speakers at NYU’s Kimmel Center during the day and more than 150 emerging artists from around the world performing at venues across Manhattan and Brooklyn at night.
The festival, which took place in September 2016, was the brainchild of music industry lifers Bobby Haber, Joanne Abbot Green and Gary Fortune. During their career, Bobby and Joanne conceived, designed, launched and managed revolutionary and iconic music industry products including the first-ever and longest running accredited music network of over 500 North American colleges and universities (College Music Journal, and CMJ Music Fest). The firms they helmed have been instrumental in the discovery and success of many of the world’s most popular musicians including U2, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Black Eyed Peas, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga, Mumford & Sons, Lana Del Rey, Avicii and Kendrick Lamar.
For the launch of Mondo, our communications objectives included:
- Re-establish relationships for the Mondo team with influential reporters, editors and producers
- Garner preview news stories about Mondo.NYC in target music, lifestyle, industry and general news media outlets
- Increase awareness of Mondo.NYC and its brand
- Increase ticket sales of Mondo.NYC
- Secure target media to attend Mondo.NYC, and secure post-event media coverage
Our goal was to target local NYC, music trade, and national print, broadcast and digital media outlets, as well as social media influencers. Through a robust media relations campaign we created a variety of tailored story pitches focusing on the following:
- The launch of Mondo.NYC—a new music + tech festival in the music capital of the world
- Mondo founders Bobby Haber and Joanne Abbott Green transition to new music + tech festival
- Mondo panels and programming featuring the business of music—from tech to legal to music discovery
Results & Impact
Mondo.NYC successfully launched in the New York market, attracting 1,700 music industry executives, fans, students and general public to its daytime summit and nighttime music showcases—achieving Mondo’s internal ticket sales goals. Bond Moroch secured 60 writers, photographers and producers to attend Mondo, from Paste magazine to Forbes, Village Voice, The Hollywood Reporter, Engadget, music blogs and more. The more than 60 stories secured about Mondo helped to successfully increase public awareness of the festival in its crucial first year. From top-tier music outlets Billboard, Stereogum, Paste, and Drowned in Sound, to local coverage in Brooklyn Vegan, We Own the Nite NYC, WNYU and New York Music Daily, we helped effectively spread the word about Mondo, its founders, and increase ticket sales.